Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
QUEEN OF THE SOUTH 2 : 0 RAITH ROVERS 4th December 2004
Rating: 6.63
Rating: 7.80
Rating: 7.26
Rating: 6.82
Rating: 6.46
Rating: 6.38
Rating: 6.42
Rating: 6.47
Rating: 6.67
Rating: 6.62
Rating: 7.80
S1 - 74
Rating: 5.01
S2 - 88
S3 - 90
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the mom League Table.

Name or IFC No.
With only one change to last weeks starting line-up as the returning Paul Burns took the place of Brian McColligan with David Bagan going more into the centre of midfield today, Iain Scott kept faith with the bulk of the players that have produced more solid performances in the past few games. Indeed what was to follow was a solid if not inspiring performance.

The first half was largely devoid of any noteworthy action, both Sacko and Quattara looked to be a dangerous threat for the visitors without creating anything that Colin Scott was pushed to deal with.

JT looks to clear the stand early on
The opening goal for Queens was due in no small part to the back of the referee. The ball was played across from a right side corner in the twenty-sixth minute and defended away as far as Eric Paton, he shot toward goal but the ball struck the official and fell kindly at the feet of Derek Lyle, the rejuvenated striker made no mistake in placing the ball past Berthelot to make it two in two for him and to give Queens the lead.

The only other real action of the half again came from a corner as Raith this time threatened as a flick on by Shaun Dennis found no takers and no defender able to clear before it was deflected out for another corner. The half ended with a flurry of corners as Raith first then Queens enjoyed a couple each without any result.

A Shaun Dennis flick on leaves the defence struggling
The second half started with a bit more of a bite about it as first Smart took out Willie Gibson right in front of the enclosure and then Tommy English received similar treatment before Shaun Dennis attempted to muscle Willie Gibson off the park.

Queens were playing better football and controlling the centre of the park quite comfortably. Some nice work down the left allowed Brian McLaughlin to release Steve Bowey who made his way across the face of the box before setting up David Bagan, his shot flew just wide to the relief of Berthelot.

With twenty-five minutes of the half gone Queens won a corner on the left that Willie Gibson teed up, a 'training ground' move saw Gibson lay the ball to the feet of Eric Paton twenty five yards out and his strike curled perfectly into the top right hand corner of the goal giving the Raith 'keeper no chance at all and making an early nomination for goal of the month.

Eric Paton's effort leaves the 'keeper helpless as it heads for the back of the net
The lead was almost increased again just four minutes later as Willie Gibson beak Paquito once again down the left and crossed only to see two Queens forwards arriving a fraction too early into the six yard box.

Iain Scott then made his first substitution with Steve Bowey being replaced by Brian McColligan.

Tommy English sends in a cross
As Queens set out their stall to defend the lead for the remainder of the match it was Raith who almost capitalised as Herve Ebanda fired in a cross ball from the left that beat Colin Scott and saw Jim Thomson having to scoop the ball off the line and around the post for a corner.

Next up was Moussa Quattara as he turned his marker on the edge of the box and shot goalward, it was saved but spilled by Colin Scott but cleared again by Jim Thomson.

That was about it apart from a late couple of time-wasting substitutions for Queens as David McNiven was given two minutes only to almost score with his first touch and Emilio Jaconelli was given even less time as the whistle went before he could even touch the ball.

All in all a comfortable victory and Queens are beginning to find a bit of form with a performance that was solid at the back, controlled the midfield and made enough chances to win the game.

[Back to Queens front page]