Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
HAMILTON 1 : 1 QUEEN OF THE SOUTH 4th August 2001
Rating: 4.71
Rating: 6.07
Rating: 7.90
Rating: 6.52
Rating: 6.03
Rating: 4.83
Rating: 4.79
Rating: 5.41
Rating: 4.83
Rating: 7.28
Rating: 6.03
Rating: 5.62
Rating: 4.69
Rating: 4.14
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the Lmom League Table.

Member No:
All the ingredients were there for a cracking afternoon's entertainment, a brand new stadium, terrific playing surface, perfect weather conditions and over three thousand fans eager to see some league action in Hamilton after a long absence.

The game itself though was not a classic, it started well and had it's moments in the first half but ultimately Queens would consider themselves fortunate to come away with a share of the points.

All those forecasting the team line-up for today's match would have been off the mark as we went with a new defensive, a new midfield and a new front starting line. In defence out went Derek Allan with Alan Gray looking an able replacement, in midfield in came defender Andy Aitken and out went playmaker John O'Neill and upfront Alan Hogg started his first match alongside Peter Weatherson.

The first chance of the game fell to Hamilton when Andy Aitken was dispossessed just outside the area allowing an Accies forward a shot at goal which dipped just wide. Hamilton were enjoying some space on the middle of the park as Aitken began to drift back and on more than one occasion found himself making clearing headers from the edge of the box.

Queens began to settle quite nicely and the front two of Hogg and Weatherson were proving quite an effective pairing as both were receiving lots of Accies defensive attention, in the twenty fifth minute and from a Jim Thomson acrobatic clearance the ball broke up the right hand side, Paddy Atkinson cut the ball back for Jon Sunderland to cross perfectly onto the head of Peter Weatherson who skillfully guided the ball past Andy Goram and into the corner of the brand new Accies net. He may not score many in friendlies but when it counts so does Peter.

The star performers for Queens in the half were undoubtedly Jim Thomson, who was clearing up everything at the back and Peter Weatherson who was pulling his markers all over the pitch.

The last ten minutes of the halt, though belonged to Accies as they pressed forward, mainly down Queens left, with the Doonhamers relying on 'keeper Campbell's shins at one point and then on him managing to flick the ball off the toe of an Accies forward as he bore down on goal.

Campbell catches this one

The extended first half came to an end with Queens on the offensive as a Des McKeown cross deserved a better effort from the head of Jon Sunderland.

The second half started much as the first had concluded with Accies pressing, however ten minutes into the half and Queens should have extended their lead as Jon Sunderland was put through but his control was poor and the chance was picked up by Goram.

Queens paid dearly for this miss as only four minutes later a high ball in the box was dropped by Campbell at the feet of Gaughan who had an easy task to level the scores and took it well.

Almost immediately Queens made a substitution with striker Alan Hogg being taken off and right sided midfielder Gordon Connelly coming on, Jon Sunderland going up front to partner Peter, some of the time.

Queens next real chance, and really the last of the game came through Weatherson again as he turned to make space for himself to shoot and only an excellent blocking tackle by Gaughan saved what would have been a cracking effort from troubling Goram.

The game more or less died out as both sides seemed content with a draw.

[Back to Queens front page]