For previous reports go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about.
Rating: 6.10
Rating: 6.65
Rating: 5.70
Rating: 5.95
Rating: 5.60
Rating: 6.40
Rating: 6.50
Rating: 6.45
Rating: 8.15
Rating: 5.25
Rating: 7.40
59 mins
Rating: 6.75
89 mins
Rating: -
Rating: -
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the MoM League Table.

Member No:
Queens today got themselves back on track with what turned out to be a convincing win against the on form Alloa Athletic. The Wasps who previously had been undefeated since late October in the league, looked dangerous only in short spells and despite them holding the lead until the seventy fifth minute it was Queens who controlled the game throughout.

The teamsheet showed a number of changes to last weeks line up with, surprisingly, Sandy Hodge relegated to the bench. Allan Preston replaced Hodge at left back whilst Paul Stewart was recalled for the suspended Ally McMillan. The formation was more 4-3-3 than 4-4-2, with Adams through the centre, Hawke on the right and Mallan to the left.

The opening exchanges were mainly confined to the midfield and the Alloa half. Queens were pressing forward, but not really threatening, whilst Alloa were happy to play on the break, attempting to release Martin Cameron at every opportunity.

Their lack of success was evident in the frustration being shown by visiting manager Terry Christie and he made the unusual step of replacing Max Christie, his son, after only thirty three minutes, admittedly he had already managed to get himself booked. To the overall scheme of things this made no difference, although just as the substitute was making his way onto the park the Wasps took the lead. A corner from the far side managed to make its way right across goal to the visitors Conway, who managed to squeeze it past Stewart and the post to open the scoring.

Queens maintained their effort, although upfront the three strikers were suffering from a lack of quality supply as the match became bogged down just inside the visitors half.

[Hawke fires one across]
Warren Hawke puts in a second half cross
As the second half got underway, the same pattern emerged, Queens making some chances, but none being converted. The change came soon after the restart, youngster Bryan Caldwell was introduced in the fifty ninth minute and given the task of providing some quality service from the left midfield flank in a re-arranged 4-4-2. Stevie Mallan moving up front in a two man partnership with Warren Hawke.

Immediately more chances were being made and on-loan Killie keeper Chris Stewart, showed his worth to the Alloa faithful by producing some fine saves, the best probably being a terrific one handed reaction save from an almost point blank Warren Hawke header. The crowd sensed that goals would come and the Glasgow Road end lifted the atmosphere with their chants.

[Cody throw in]
Bryan Caldwell started to supply quality balls to the front two when he came on
The goal was inevitable and a well placed Stevie Mallan left foot shot into the keepers right hand corner was enough to level the scores in the seventy fifth minute.

And the icing on the cake for the home support came in the eighty third minute and was Stevie's second and winning goal which he nodded past the keeper and watched it creep in at the keepers left hand post.

Queens continued to make the running in the last seven minutes but Alloa did not seriously threaten Mathiesons goal and the crowd were delighted when the whistle went and Queens took the three points.

This result moves us to within three points of Stenhousemuir, and with us visiting them next Saturday, this could be the most important game of the season coming up.

[Back to Queens front page]