Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
QUEEN OF THE SOUTH 2 : 1 HAMILTON 3rd November 2007
Rating: 7.56
Rating: 5.91
Rating: 6.72
Rating: 6.75
Rating: 6.58
Rating: 5.56
Rating: 5.67
Rating: 5.68
Rating: 6.58
Rating: 7.34
Rating: 4.79
S1 - 44
Rating: 6.68
S2 - 57 1
Rating: 7.15
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the mom League Table.

Name or IFC No.
Gordon Chisholm provided a surprise or two in the line up this afternoon as he fielded Neil Scally as a centre half partnering Jim Thomson, Jamie McQuilken as a right back and Bob Harris left back. Jamie Mole came back into the side after a few weeks out but the on loan Hearts striker was given a berth on the right hand side of the midfield. It was Motherwell loan defender David Nixon who dropped out of the squad in favour of Jamie Mole.

The game started with a bang in just 85 seconds - but it was a bang at the wrong end as the highly rated McCarthy latched onto an excellent flick over the defence from Gilhaney and zeroed in on goal. Jamie MacDonald showed just a bit too much of his near post to McCarthy and the youngster finished with style between MacDonald and his near post.

McCarthy beats MacDonald - Photo from Sandy Robertson
Jamie McQuilken picked up an early booking for what looked like a mis-timed tackle on the half way line.

It was an evenly matched encounter and on twenty minutes a last ditch tackle from James McArthur was just enough to deny Sean O'Connor as the big striker teed up an effort. On the half hour Jamie MacDonald made a good save as Mark Gilhaney attempted a speculative curling effort. With just a few minutes of the half left Scott Robertson made his way down the right hand side after being fed in by Steve Tosh, the ball across the box from Robertson was just short of Sean O'Connor and evaded everyone who was in the box.

Just prior to the whistle Stephen Dobbie picked up and injury and was replaced by David Bingham.

The second half also started brightly and again it was at the wrong end for Queens, fortunately though Jamie MacDonald was on hand to produce a wonder one hand save from a header following a Hamilton corner.

With twelve minutes of the half gone Jamie Mole made way for Brian Gilmour which then allowed Steve Tosh to take up a right wing spot and Gilmour a left wing spot. Immediately Queens began to threaten with the two channels now set up to supply the front pair. O'Connor was put through by Bingham only to denied by a timely Halliwell dive at his feet.

On sixty six minutes a long throw from Bob Harris appeared to be dropped by Halliwell and with David Bingham mixing things up between Halliwell and McLaughlin the ball ended up in the net and the scores were all square.

Bingo, Halliwell and McLaughlin all help the ball into the net - From David Gow on the terracing

Bingo celebrates the ball in the back of the net
Almost before the joy had died down there was a second reason to celebrate as the outstanding Brian Gilmour made his way into the box, with a step to the left then a step to the right the wing man made enough space to see the goals. His strike appeared to hit the post and come back out before hitting Halliwell on the shoulder and rebounding into the net for the second and what was to prove the decisive goal.

Gilmour and Halliwell strike for number 2 - From David Gow on the terracing

Gilmour strikes his effort that ended up in the back of the net for the winner
With confidence running through the side and two channels to provide the forwards it was Queens who were imposing themselves on the match and pushing the Accies back. With fifteen minutes left Steve Tosh made another productive run down the right hand side, his deep cross found the feet of Brian Gilmour, the winger looked up and fed David Bingham on the edge of the box, Bingham skipped into the box but could only bobble ball past the post although Halliwell did make a full length dive to cover the effort.

A minute later and Gilhaney, playing an advantage after a very late Bob Harris tackle that was to earn him a booking, lobbed Jamie MacDonald who was well off his line, fortunately the aim of the Accies winger wasn't too great and the effort skimmed past the post.

The final goalscoring opportunity of the match fell to Queens when Sean O'Connor was put through onto Halliwell, his effort was well saved by the 'keeper but the ball then fell to Bingham and again his effort was blocked away before the ball came back to Gilmour but yet again Halliwell made the block and the deficit stayed at 2-1.

The match ended with a standing ovation for the home side who had beaten the odds and produced a decent performance against a side who really only had confidence more than us at the start of the game.

[Back to Queens front page]