Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
QUEEN OF THE SOUTH 2 : 0 COWDENBEATH 3rd February 2007
Rating: 6.73
Rating: 6.75
Rating: 6.54
Rating: 6.35
Rating: 6.54
Rating: 7.45
Rating: 7.75
Rating: 7.24
Rating: 6.71
1 S1
Rating: 6.62
Rating: 6.92
S1 - 67
Rating: 5.64
S2 - 80
S3 - 84
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the mom League Table.

Name or IFC No.
On a foggy Saturday afternoon Queens did enough to move into the quarter finals of the Tennent's Scottish Cup for the first time in thirty years. Manager Ian McCall - a spectator at the last Queens appearance in the quarters - made only one change to the side that had played so well against Partick Thistle last week as cup-tied Stevie Murray dropped out and in came Steve Tosh. The swap was also positional as Tosh took up the right hand side whilst Willie Gibson moved from wide right to wide left. On the bench the Under 19 rule saw Scott Robertson get a seat on the bench along with new signing Andrew Barrowman with John O'Neill missing out.

Despite a heavy night of frost the new pitch covers again proved their worth as did the efforts of the Queens fans who volunteered to take the covers off this morning, the pitch was perfect and the only problem was a bit of fog that at times obscured any decent view of the Terregles Street end.

It was the 'Blue Brazil' that started the stronger of the two sides as Queens looked a bit heavy footed. An early Cowden corner was almost forced in and their energetic play, particularly down their right hand side was causing the Queens defence a fair bit of trouble. With twenty five minutes gone a Cowdenbeath corner was forced over the bar by MacDonald in the Queens goal and then scrambled clear by Jim Thomson from their second effort.

Queens then suddenly found some inspiration as the superb Jamie Adams surged into the box, as he strode forward he was impeded by a Cowden defender and referee Clark had no doubt as he awarded the penalty kick. Stephen Dobbie is the man to take the kicks at the moment and his effort high into the roof of the net gave David Hay in the visitors goal no chance.

Deadly finishing from Stephen Dobbie

The penalty award and strike - from David Gow on the terracing
Just before the half time whistle blew Queens almost increased their lead as a deep Jamie McQuilken cross found Sean O'Connor but the big man could only head back across the face of the goal with no takers.

Ten minutes into the second half and the game was pretty much over. Stevie Tosh, who looked much better in the second half than the first found a burst of speed down the right hand side and hit the byeline, his cut back fell to Jamie Adams on the penalty spot, the big lad controlled the ball with his chest and then drilled it under the 'keeper and into the back of the net to make the score 2-0.

Jamie drills it home through Hay's legs

He liked that one!

Jamie slams home - from David Gow on the terracing
Jamie McQuilken too looked a better player as the game went on and he also found his way to the byeline and whipped across a ball that skimmed across the face of the post and bar before escaping to safety. It was with 25 minutes of the half gone that former loan star Andrew Barrowman came on for Stephen Dobbie and the big man looked busy as he battled for every ball.

Big Sean see's a super save by Hay
A minute after the substitution and a moment that Steve Tosh will want to forget about. It all started from a throw in by Gary Fusco for Cowdenbeath, the midfielder decided to throw the ball across the box to a team mate but it didn't make it and fell kindly to Steve Tosh instead. Steve decided to shoot as the ball fell and with only the goalkeeper between him and the net the ball somehow clipped the 'keeper and hit the post.

With about ten minutes of the half to go Sean O'Connor produced a superb turn inside the box that let him get one on one with Hay, he then struck the ball towards the top corner but somehow Hay produced a superb save to push the ball away for a corner.
There were a couple of changes late on for Queens with Scott Robertson on for Steven Tosh and Graham Weir joining his brother Steven (playing for Cowdenbeath) on the pitch replacing Sean O'Connor. A late Cowdenbeath substitution saw another family tie as Scott Dalziel for Cowden came onto th same pitch as his cousin Jamie MacDonald.

All in all it was a solid performance by Queens. Cowdebeath providing stiff opposition during the first period and could count themselves unlucky to be a goal behind at the break, however the second half belonged to Queens and the best team won.

[Back to Queens front page]