For previous reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
QUEEN OF THE SOUTH 1-1 ARBROATH2nd December 2000
Rating: 5.96
Rating: 5.64
Rating: 6.29
Rating: 6.18
Rating: 6.11
Rating: 6.68
Rating: 5.64
Rating: 7.04
Rating: 6.68
Rating: 5.43
Rating: 6.04
61 mins
Rating: 5.39
Rating: -
Rating: -
Rating: -
Rating: -
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the MoM League Table.

Member No:
Queen's will look on today's result as two points lost as a ten man Arbroath side put up the shutters for the last twenty five minutes.

The game was played in difficult conditions with a very heavy pitch and a swirling wind for both sets of players to contend with, Queens attempting to play a more controlled passing game whilst Arbroath attempted a more direct style of play, relying on the pace of the ageing strike duo of Mallan and McGlashan to cause trouble in the home defence.

It was Queens who showed first, the hardworking Peter Weatherson finding himself clear in the box but unable to turn and get a shot in before the ball was cleared from his toe inside the first two minutes. It took until the fifteenth minute for Queens to have their first real effort on goal and it was a blistering effort by Stuart Davidson that flew well over the crossbar.

Then on the half hour mark a saving block by Ronnie McQuilter prevented the Red Lichties from taking the lead as Colin McGlashans shot was diverted away by McQuilter's toe. Shortly afterwards Jarrod Suddick made his presence felt with an impressive run through the defence but a less than impressive finish as his shot tamely ran past the post. The final action of the half was a saving tackle by Jim Thomson who was just in time to prevent Peter Weatherson striking.

Both sides were evenly matched in that first forty five minutes with Queens edging it in terms of possession. The second half though belonged to Queens for long periods and really more than one solitary goal should have been scored.

Within only three minutes of the half however, Queens found themselves 1-0 down as Colin McGlashan was upended in the box and the referee had no hesitation in awarding a spot kick, McGlashan himself took the kick and although David Mathieson dived the right way their was no way he could prevent the well struck penalty from reaching the back of the net.

That was the wake up call that Queens seemed to need and immediately they began to take control of the match, firstly Jarrod Suddick met a deep Jon Sunderland cross but could only slice it over then Sunderland worked his way down the right again and put in a cross in line with the penalty spot that Peter Weatherson turned into Bryan Caldwell's path, the diminutive striker did what he does best and struck the ball cleanly first time into the roof of the net for an excellent equalising goal.

Suddick was replaced immediately after the goal with Skinner and the tempo was increased by Queens again.

Arbroath though caused a couple of scares as they played on the break, firstly an innocuous ball came through to Mathieson who knelt down to collect it only for it to deflect off the tricky pitch, strike his shoulder and carry on at pace just past the post, then Jim Thomson was presented with a chance on the edge of the box but could only do what defenders do best and blast the ball high and wide.

Arbroath's Steele found himself red carded after going in heavily on Jon Sunderland who had been running the left side of the Red Lichties defence ragged for much of the second half.

Queens continued to press and Arbroath appeared to decide that a point was a good result for them and camped back in their own half. Queens had all of the possession but yet couldn't find the route to another goal that would have seen them jump two places in the league today.

Jon Sunderland was particularly effective today, Peter Weatherson was everywhere as usual, the defensive pairing of Aitken and McQuilter look solid, however Stuart Davidson in midfield was as tenacious as ever and made numerous telling tackles throughout the match.

[Back to Queens front page]