Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
MORTON 0 : 2 QUEEN OF THE SOUTH 2nd February 2008
Rating: 7.61
Rating: 7.32
Rating: 8.33
Rating: 6.74
Rating: 7.56
Rating: 7.17
Rating: 6.81
Rating: 7.15
Rating: 6.65
1 S1
Rating: 8.08
Rating: 6.54
S1 - 68
Rating: 5.76
S2 - 75 1
Rating: 6.64
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the mom League Table.

Name or IFC No.
Given the great run Queens had been on it was no great surprise that Gordon Chisholm kept his changes to a minimum. It was same again for the eleven that beat Dundee last weekend with the only change on the bench where the cup tied Robert Campbell dropped out and was replaced by Brian Gilmour to fulfil the two outfield u21 players criteria. Morton were without the services of deadline signing Allan Jenkins, cup tied after playing for Gretna, but could call on the services of two goal hero from Monday night Peter Weatherson up front alongside his new partner Brian Wake.

Queens fans overspill onto the uncovered terrace - from David Gow on the terracing
The two sides began cautiously, no doubt aware of what was at stake and it was an error by Ryan Harding that allowed Steve Tosh the first opening in the game around the quarter hour mark but McGurn half blocked his shot from a tight angle and Stewart Greacen got back to hack the ball off the line before Dobbie could capitalise. From the resulting throw Paul Burns almost curled the ball into the top right corner. Minutes later Barry Smith was maybe fortunate to escape a booking for bringing down Sean O'Connor on the edge of the box. Tosh hit the resulting free kick into a defender but Burns should maybe have done better with the loose ball than turn it into McGurn's arms.

Burnsy almost squeezes one in - from Sandy Robertson
Morton's best chance of the half came in 25 minutes on the break as Millar's cross was met by a Weatherson diving header into the ground and back up towards the top corner only for a flying save from MacDonald to keep the ball out. Queens were soon back in charge though and Dobbie curled a shot high before in the final minute of the half careless defending allowed Steve Tosh a clear chance at goal which appeared to catch him by surprise as he slashed the ball wide.

Nellie was shackled by JT - again - from Sandy Robertson
The second half burst to life as Queens opened the scoring with the first attack. Robert Harris' corner from the right was headed powerfully home by Sean O'Connor from six yards.

Sean heads home - from Sandy Robertson
Andy Aitken was booked for a poor challenge on the hour mark before Sean O'Connor had a lengthy absence from the field with a head knock. The big man eventually came back on but was clearly struggling and, after Russell replaced Smith for the home side, O'Connor gave way to John O'Neill on 68 minutes. In between times Steve Tosh shot over the bar again having been played through by Dobbie. Paul Burns then picked up a booking for a bad challenge on Chris Millar and McLaughlin hammered the free kick from 35 yards straight at MacDonald.

Sean receives treatment for a head knock whilst defending - from David Gow on the terracing
On 72 minutes came an incredible let off as MacDonald somehow mis-handled a tame cross and needed Aitken to clear away from the line only for McAlister to almost score from the loose ball anyway. Seconds later Thomson deflected over Russell's shot. More legs were needed and Stewart replaced Dobbie with quarter of an hour to go. Weatherson and Thomson were in a running battle at this point that threatened to boil over into something nasty. Peter though escaped long enough to miss a great chance at the back post before Burns was bundled over in the box at the other end but to general incredulity play was waved on. Brian Wake was then booked for a foul on McCann.

Both the goals - from David Gow on the teracing
With ten minutes to go John Stewart broke forward to work an opening but, having done the hard bit, he sliced his shot wide. It was end to end stuff and Wake missed a fine opening at the other end seconds later. Stewart forced a save from McGurn from 18 yards but his moment of glory wasn't delayed long. John O'Neill sent Ryan McCann cantering down the right side and he evaded Greacen before firing in a shot that McGurn could only parry. There was John Stewart to volley the rebound home from 20 yards to double the lead with four minutes remaining..

Jamie proves handy again - from Sandy Robertson
There was still time for Jim Thomson to head one off the line but after that Queens saw out the remaining time including three minutes of injury time without any great problem for their third clean sheet victory at Cappielow this season. What a run this is. Five wins in a row, seven wins in the last eight. We will await the draw on Sunday with interest.

Ewan Lithgow

[Back to Queens front page]