Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
CLYDE 0 : 0 QUEEN OF THE SOUTH 1st December 2007
Rating: 6.79
Rating: 6.41
Rating: 6.82
Rating: 6.71
Rating: 7.65
Rating: 7.62
Rating: 7.12
Rating: 7.38
Rating: 5.94
Rating: 6.88
Rating: 5.91
S1 - 75
Rating: 3.58
S2 - 85
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the mom League Table.

Name or IFC No.
Gordon Chisholm enjoyed the luxury of almost a full squad available for the first time in a good while as no-one reported additional injuries this week. Only Jim Lauchlan, and of course Jamie Adams, continue to be unavailable. However, given the performance and scoreline at Peterhead last weekend it was to no great surprise that it was "same again" for the starting eleven. Just one change on the bench where David Bingham, unavailable for the cup match, replaced Scott Robertson in the squad. Clyde fielded their usual young side with dangerman Dougie Imrie back from a three day trial at Nottingham Forest.

Queens started fairly brightly and when the Clyde defence failed to clear Stevie Tosh's pass forward on six minutes Sean O'Connor should have opened the scoring but failed to hit the target from 12 yards. A few minutes later and a super challenge in the box from on loan Carlisle United defender Dan Kirkup denied O'Connor again. On the quarter hour mark the home side threatened for the first time. A challenge on the edge of the area out wide was punished with a free kick and the ball was fired in. It pinballed about a bit before springing to the edge of the box from where Christian Smith hammered it narrowly wide.

On 18 minutes Queens spurned an incredible series of chances. Dobbie beat the offside to race onto a clearance from MacDonald but Hutton blocked his first effort. The ball spun clear though and O'Connor should have buried the rebound but could only hit the crossbar. Again the ball bounced clear to the edge of the box where Tosh looped a header back on target only for Craig Higgins to head off the line and away. Even then the danger wasn't quite over as Paul Burns cross back into the danger area struck the post! Clyde though almost took full advantage of their let off as Dougie Imrie forced a fine save from MacDonald from a 20 yard free kick. On 22 minutes Hutton again had to be in top form to deny Stevie Tosh with a flying save from a 25 yard shot. From the resulting corner, when the ball came in for a second time, O'Connor should have scored but somehow fired wide of target again.

On the stroke of half time Dusan Bestvina picked up a yellow card for a foul on Gilmour and the resulting free kick was glanced out for a corner. The corner was played to Tosh at the edge of the box and his drive was initially blocked but Harris picked up the loose ball and played across to Aitken who was denied a rare goal by Dan Kirkup's header off the line. The second corner kick was also almost bundled home before the half time whistle finally went.

In the opening minute of the second half goalkeeper David Hutton instigated a pointless shoving match with Paul Burns which resulted in both players receiving pointless yellow cards. A minute later, from a long ball free kick, Dan Kirkup back-headed the ball over MacDonald but against the bar and the defence scrambled the ball clear. Queens were still dominating though and the Clyde goal continued to lead a charmed life. Next up O'Connor beat Hutton to a through ball and crossed in for Scally to twice have headers blocked on the line, first by Kirkup and then by Bestvina. On 56 minutes Dougie Imrie picked up his customary booking for a late challenge and a minute later was followed in by Christian Smith for a two footed lunge at Tosh.

With quarter of an hour remaining both teams made their first change. Queens brought on Bingham for O'Connor and Clyde brought on David McGowan for Roddy MacLennan. Soon afterward Dobbie fired one over the bar from the edge of the box. With five minutes remaining Jamie McQuilken replaced Brian Gilmour and seconds later Sean McKenna replaced Bradley for Clyde. McKenna could have won the game with his first touch from Michael McGowan's cross but slashed over the bar from six yards. In 88 minutes Clyde survived a big penalty appeal when Dobbie went down under Higgins challenge in the box after a clever Bingham ball through. Seconds later Jim Thomson almost got on the end of a free kick before Dobbie, still moaning about the penalty decision, picked up a yellow for dissent. Clyde were straight up the other end and McKenna again almost won it with a 25 yard shot that had MacDonald scrambling in vain across his line but went wide. That was the last action though as Queens, despite a performance that should have yielded three or four goals, clinched only a point from a 0-0 draw.

Ewan Lithgow

[Back to Queens front page]